Suburbs Farm Ward Buildings, Basil Stafford Centre

66

Where

Aveyron Road, Wacol (parking at the top of hill on the left side, past the water tower)

When

Architects

Department of Public Works under the direction of Eric P Trewern FRIBA

Year Built

1957

The Woogaroo Lunatic Asylum (Wolston Park Hospital Complex), as it was originally named, was the first publicly-funded mental health institution founded in the colony of Queensland in the 1860s. By the 1950s, the site had become the largest such institution in Australia with approximately 2500 residents and 700 staff.

Tour tip

Limited wheelchair access

arrow_back Back to Buildings + Add to shortlist

On the map