The Naval Offices on Edward Street are the only naval headquarters constructed by the Queensland Department of Public Works. The building was completed in late June 1901, and although the Commonwealth took control of Queensland’s Naval Forces in 1901, the Naval Offices remained in Queensland ownership in 1911. No other Australian Colony built Naval Offices in the years just prior to Federation and the subsequent transfer of defence assets to federal control. The building was used as a secondary site for Naval Offices during the Second World War, and underwent significant renovations to increase the office size.
The Naval Offices were surplus to the RAN’s requirements by 1977, and the building was left vacant until 1982 when it was leased as Muddie’s Seafood Restaurant. The building was leased, rather than sold so that conditions protecting the historical section of the Naval Offices could be written into the lease.
In the early 1990s, Bruce Buchanan Architects led a restoration of the building, recovering lost or obscured significant fabrics, demolishing the extensions added in 1944, and reconstructing the rear verandah. The building is now fully occupied by Archipelago, an innovative architecture, landscape architecture and urban design studio.
Register at the building on arrival, Great for kids, Not Accessibility friendly
Is Heritage listed