Brisbane Open House
273 North Quay Brisbane
Saturday : Cancelled to
Sunday : Cancelled to
General access and guided tours // Guided

Due to unforeseen circumstances this building will no longer be opening over the Brisbane Open House weekend. Apologies for any inconvenience.

 

Built in a prominent position at North Quay facing the Brisbane River, the First Church of Christ, Scientist opened on 4 August 1940, continues a tradition of Christian Science in Queensland dating from the beginning of the twentieth century.

Cummings was largely responsible for the ingenious modernist design on a restricted site producing an asymmetrical composition of crisp, cubic volumes resembling the work of Dutch architect, Willem Dudok.

The building is distinguished by a lack of ornament and religious imagery and its form is dictated by the function of its parts. Enveloped in buff-coloured brickwork with parapets concealing low pitched and flat roofs are: a large auditorium and associated spaces at the western end; a Sunday School, classrooms, library and children’s rooms at the eastern end; and a wide foyer and ancillary facilities separating the two, leading from the North Quay entrance through to a secondary ramped entrance off May Street to the north. A board room, various committee rooms and a self-contained flat are located on the second level.

Addressing North Quay, the recessed main entrance with large bronze-trimmed timber doors is given prominence through a two-storey portico with simple rendered columns set within the foremost volume.

Christian Scientists formed one of the largest new religions in Australia in the early twentieth century and this building is a testament to the commitment of the Brisbane branch of the church community.

The First Church of Christ, Scientist was considered to be very avant-garde for its time, and made a 'positive contribution to the civic architecture of the city'. It is a significant and innovative work of the practice of Frederick Bruce Lucas and Robert Percy Cummings, both of whom were influential figures in all aspects of architecture in Queensland for 40 years (c1927-1966).

Tour Information

Frequency of Guided Tours: Rolling tours

Tour Tips

Register at the building on arrival

Dress Requirements

Smart casual, Enclosed shoes, No heels

Wheelchair access

Yes

Is Heritage listed

Yes

1939
Lucas & Cummings
None