The Lady Bowen Complex was constructed as a lying-in hospital 1889. It was the second purpose built home of the Brisbane Lying-In Hospital, established to provide health care and support to pregnant women who would otherwise not receive medical care during pregnancy or at childbirth. The hospital was named in recognition of the wife of Governor George Bowen, Lady Diamantina Roma Bowen.
The Lady Bowen Hospital complex comprises three buildings, situated on the northern side of Wickham Terrace, overlooking Albert Park. The central building is the 1890 hospital, the oldest on the site and the original two storeyed brick Lady Bowen Hospital. To the west is a 1923 two storeyed brick Nurses’ Quarters.
The Lady Bowen hospital closed in 1938 following the construction of a new obstetrics hospital in the grounds of the Brisbane General Hospital (Herston).
Since its closure in 1938, the precinct has been occupied by a range of tenants. The most significant of these was the Australian Army Canteen Services during World War II. Other tenants have included the Queensland State Archives, and the Australian Music Examination Board.
In 2005, the Queensland Government committed $30 million over four years to the redevelopment of the historic Lady Bowen Complex.
The Lady Bowen Complex was developed in three stages and was carefully designed to ensure the buildings onsite retained their heritage value. Each stage provides a range of accommodation and support services to assist people in housing need. Stage One was the refurbishment of the original nurses’ quarters into accommodation for 37 clients, the majority of whom have complex needs and experience long term homelessness.
Since 22 November 2006, Mission Australia has managed the complex, named ‘Roma House’
Stage Two of the Lady Bowen Complex involved the upgrade and conversion of the original 1890 buildings as Community-Managed Housing – Studio Units (community housing), providing 21 studio style units of accommodation. This housing is managed by Bric Housing. It also provides office space for Q Shelter – Queensland’s peak body for the housing and homelessness sector. The Stage Two complex is named ‘Diamantina House’.
Quentin Bryce House (Stage three) comprises 34 studio units over five floors and provides single accommodation for seniors or those of mature age with low incomes. Tenants commenced occupancy in October 2008. Stage three replaces a 1943 timber framed and fibrous sheet clad building constructed during WWII.
Frequency of Guided Tours: 10am 11am 12pm 1pm 2pm
Register at the building on arrival
Is Heritage listed