160 Vulture Street, Kurilpa [South Brisbane] (cnr of Cordelia Street and Ernest Street)
Saturday : 9:30 AM to 4:00 PM
General access and guided tours // Open Access / Free Roaming

St Andrew’s Anglican Church, South Brisbane is a place of beauty, history, architecture, music, community and faith! For 145 years, culturally and spiritually, St Andrew’s Anglican Church, South Brisbane, has contributed richly and with deep dedication to the city of Brisbane, including an ongoing strong commitment to indigenous and marginalised citizens. St Andrew’s is a Christ-centred, Bible-based church, with a long tradition of supporting mission. It also has a strong musical tradition.

The church is an elegant stone building, designed in Neo-Gothic style by flamboyant Italian-Australian architect, Andrea Stombuco. It is situated on a pivotal island-hub of South Brisbane, surrounded by mature gardens.

The church was built in stages – the sanctuary and first section of the nave 1878-1883, with the foundation stone laid by Governor Sir Arthur Kennedy. The nave was completed 1931-32. The Church Hall was completed in 1910. The church has many particularly fine stained-glass windows, a steep slate roof with ventilators, and richly detailed timber roof trusses. An English JW Walker & Sons organ was installed in 1885. A peal of six bells was installed in 1988, Australia’s bicentennial year, and the bells continue to be rung each Sunday.

Beneath the church is a Chapel of Remembrance, featuring a stained-glass window by Brisbane artist, William Bustard.

St Andrew’s warmly welcomes visitors into its walls with music and beauty and hospitality!

Tour Information

Frequency of Guided Tours: As required

Tour Tips

Register at the building on arrival, Great for kids

Additional Activities

Children's Activities, Workshops/talks, Musical performances, Refreshments available, Information Displays

Dress Requirements

Smart casual

Wheelchair access

Yes

Is Heritage listed

Yes

Andrea Giovanni Stombuco
The extension of the Church Nave, planned from 1914, was completed in 1932 under the supervision of architect Lange Powell
From 1878 through to Dedication in 1883: Pipe Organ installed in 1885; Parish Hall was built in 1910; Church Nave Extension 1932; Chapel of Remembrance built in 1951; A Peal of 6 Bells was installed in 1988; Matthew Hale Library beneath Church.