St Mary’s Anglican Church on Main Street Kangaroo Point stands prominently above the Kangaroo Point Cliffs overlooking the Gardens Reach of the Brisbane River. This landmark stone church was designed by Richard Suter and consecrated on 5 November 1873, by the Venerable Archdeacon Glennie.
The Gothic Revival style church is built of Brisbane tuff to a cruciform plan incorporating a nave, a chancel and transepts, complemented by a stone belfry at the entrance. A church organ, dating to the 1820s was imported from London in 1876. The Rector’s house, designed by architect J H Buckeridge and built in 1889 is the only known stone residence he designed in Queensland.
A cyclone on the afternoon of the 2 April 1892 inflicted significant damage to the church. Architect GHM Addison was engaged to oversee repairs and several alterations were made to the original church design. The bell turret was rebuilt on stronger foundations, the choir extended further into the church, and the vestry enlarged.
The nave features a high timber hammer beam truss roof spanning 10 metres between the plain tuff walls. In contrast, the sanctuary has a richly decorated ceiling painted by the artist Godfrey Rivers. The white arcaded plastered walls incorporate three stained-glass windows.
St Mary’s has a long association with the Navy, being located above the site of the old Naval Stores built in the late 1880s. The church grounds are home to several Navy memorials. A Warrior’s Chapel in St Mary’s was dedicated in April 1950, commemorating those who gave their lives in both world wars from all the armed services and the Merchant Navy.
The church and grounds
Sunday Guided Tours
Times: Rolling tours throughout the day