The current church at St Mary’s was blessed and opened in 1893. It replaced the first St Mary’s – a small wooden church built on the site of the present car park around 1864.
In the 1880s, Brisbane experienced an economic and building boom. The expansion of the population meant that the chapel was no longer adequate to the needs of the South Brisbane congregation and a meeting was held in August 1889 to discuss the construction of a new and larger church.
Cardinal Moran laid the foundation stone of the new church on 25 September 1892 in a ceremony attended by Archbishop Dunne and Archbishop Carr.
The most significant change to the church since its construction in 1893 was the completion of the sanctuary, including vestry and sacristy, in December 1929. The church was placed on the State Heritage list in 2004.
In 2015, the following works were done to the church: new marble altar, new ambo, floor tiles laid, pews restored, baptism font restored. With statues of Mary, Sacred heart of Jesus, St Joseph and St Patrick restored. The church and altar were dedicated on 6 December 2015.
Saturday Guided Tours
Wear suitable church attire
Purchase hand made greeting cards and cool drinks on the day
2012 National Trust of Australia (Queensland Heritage) Awards