Dedicated to worship in 1889, St Paul’s Presbyterian Church is a gothic-style stone building with a soaring steeple dominating Spring Hill’s skyline. Adjacent, the similarly styled brick and stone-faced Sabbath School Hall dates from 1886, and initially served as a temporary church while the main church building was constructed.
The congregation of St Paul’s, originally established in 1863, built their church on the corner of Creek and Adelaide Streets in 1863. FDG Stanley, one of Queensland’s most renowned architects in the colonial era, was commissioned to design a new church for the congregation on Leichhardt Street. Much of the stonework from the demolished church was re-used, as were iron railings and entrance gates.
The interior features a spacious nave with stone pillars and gothic arches. Exposed wooden arches support a roof lining of diagonal tongue and groove. Internal joinery and furniture is of red cedar, and the sloping floor is of pine. A prominent feature is the numerous stained-glass windows in the building including a set of four windows depicting four Old Testament prophets — Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Daniel — gifted by a former Premier of Queensland, Sir Thomas McIlwraith. The aisles are illuminated by dappled light cast by stained glass illustrating ten events in the life of St Paul.
St Paul’s landmark status was recognised with the mid-1930s renaming of a section of Leichhardt Street as St Paul’s Terrace. The Sabbath School Hall became the focus for the church’s social activities, and has been the home to an active Sunday School since before WWI to the present day. The building has also served the wider local community including the building of the bi-plane ‘The Courier’. In 1942 defence authorities requisitioned the hall for possible use as an emergency centre during air raids.
The church, hall and grounds
Saturday Guided Tours
Times: 11am Saturday tour with heritage architect Tim O'Donnell. Note: Tour may run for up to 90min
Wear suitable church attire // No wheelchair access
Saturday 12.30pm free concert by the Ormiston Heritage Pipes and Drums Inc. Sunday 12.15pm free concert by the Urban Village People's Choir. 'Hill and Song' organ performances over the weekend