The St Peter’s Lutheran College Chapel is a heritage-listed chapel at 66 Harts Road, Indooroopilly. It was designed by Dr Karl Langer and built in 1966/7 by W. W. Groom. The chapel was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on 7 December 2012.
For the chapel, Langer, as a modernist architect, used very simple plain materials: concrete, brick, timber, industrial roofing and aluminium windows, used as panels with almost no decoration, which made the large building very economical. The only decorative elements are the marble facings on the columns, and the sandstone of the altar and font.
The effect of the space is almost entirely in the modernist form. The entry is designed like a traditional church with a large public face, with a compressed low-front entrance passing through into a high sacred space.
Lutherans have a long tradition of organ and choral music. Many church services still incorporate the sung liturgy and involve active choirs. The G. Dohler Memorial Pipe Organ was built in 1976-80 by Whitehouse Bros of Brisbane, shortly before the firm ceased operation in 1982, and was completed by H.W. Jarrott in 1983. The organ has since been extended and rebuilt and the screen around it extended. When a large choir sings from the loft, the whole place fills with sound.
From 1967 until 2017, when the performing Arts Centre was opened, the chapel was the largest space in the college and was used for all major church services, and events. It seats up to 800 people. Today the chapel is used by two church congregations as well as daily student devotions and various performances and assemblies.
Langer also designed other buildings on the plaza: Theile House, Café 45 (formerly the Refectory) and the Science block.
As a turn-of-the-century residence, the Ross Roy Villa is an excellent example of Federation style architecture in Brisbane. Although the name of the architect is not recorded on surviving documents, there is conclusive evidence that it is the design of Claude Chambers, a renowned architect of the period.
The remarkable building features a slightly projecting double porch, double gables and servants’ wing extending from the side of the main living quarters.
On entering the large stained-glass front door, one is confronted by a remarkable staircase, curved balustrade and wood panelling, all framed by two classical arches. The staircase leads to more stained glass in the stairwell windows. Classical arches with central consoles are repeated throughout the interior, features that were typical of the grand villas built at the turn of the century.
The Federation characteristics exhibited on the exterior of the Collings’ residence include the Marseilles tiled roof with its crested ridge and complex structure of finial-capped gables, gablets and polygonal roofs. The walls of tuck pointed red brickwork are typical of the 1880s Queen Anne Revival which was absorbed into the Federation style. Elaborate timberwork on the generous verandas demonstrated the arrival of art nouveau curvilinear features and the use of the nationalistic ‘rising sun’ motif which symbolised the spirit of a new era.
The ‘rising sun’ fretwork can be seen in the southern and western gables, whereas the curvilinear patterns are on and around the arches which support and decorate the once-open verandah encompassing three sides of the main living quarters. The use of lattice on the facade is also characteristic of Federation style.
On Tuesday 20 February 1945, Ross Roy opened its door as St Peters Lutheran College. Lessons commenced Wednesday 21 February 1945, with 6 teaching staff and 56 pupils. All students were borders at that time. The girls had their rooms on the top floor verandas and the boys had their rooms in an existing shed the grounds.
Chambers was also the architect of Raymont Lodge (Drysllwyn) which was constructed around 1904-1905 in Cadell Street, Auchenflower.
Great for kids
Is Heritage listed