Step inside Queensland’s most prominent bank of the 1880s. View the boardroom and formal dining room used on occasion by the Queensland cabinet.
The state heritage listed former Queensland National (QN) Bank head office, is arguably the finest example of a commercial building in Brisbane that expresses the confidence and optimism of 1880s Queensland. Completed in 1885, the building is a major symbol of the colony’s economic growth and reflects the close relationship between the QN Bank and the Queensland Government at that time. Architect FDG Stanley designed the building, which has been described as the most important of his career.
The building is a three-storeyed brick structure with Murphy’s Creek sandstone facings, built in the Classical Revival style with a distinct Palladian influence evident in the careful detailing. Giant order columns of Oamaru (New Zealand) limestone dominate the Queen and Creek Street façades. The ground floor level has a plinth with arched openings set between groups of pilasters. More openings are recessed behind the balconies of the upper-level central bays. Internally, the upper floors provided a lavish suite for the manager, while the lower floors accommodated banking chambers and offices. Grand spaces include the banking chamber, with its glazed roof and supporting columns, the formal dining room, and the boardroom, used on occasions by the Queensland Cabinet. Local cedar and mahogany was used for the main entry doors and internal joinery. Mantle pieces, marble and furniture were sourced from the United Kingdom. World War I and II Honour Boards are located on either side of the entry.
In its continuous use as a bank for 130 years, the place retains a high degree of intactness and is distinguished by the quality of its detailing and materials. The QN Bank merged with The National Bank of Australasia Limited in 1947 and its successor, the National Australia Bank, owned the premises until 2006. New Owners Primewest Property Investors look forward to honouring the building’s heritage.
How to Book Saturday & Sunday
Register on the day
Guided Tour Times
Every 15 minutes
Limited wheelchair access