The Montague Hotel was built in 1891 to a design by prominent Brisbane architect Francis Drummond Greville Stanley. When the hotel was first built, this part of Montague Road was home to a few fishermen, an ice cream maker, a tinsmith, a shipwright, two hawkers and a sheep’s trotter seller.
Directly across the road from the hotel was Carmichael’s Timber Yard and the West End Brewery only a block away. In 1953 it was renamed the Coronation Hotel after the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. From the early 1970s the licensee was rugby league personality Ripper Doyle.
The hotel occupies a corner site on Montague Road. It is a two-storeyed rendered and painted brickwork building with a corrugated iron roof. The street facades are surrounded by a cantilevered iron-lace verandah and an awning over the street, with an entrance at the truncated corner.
The Montague is substantially intact and is one of the last remaining buildings complete with ornate timber staircase and lead light windows.
The Montague is now occupied on the Ground level by Milk Factory Bar and a commercially leased office on both the Ground Level and Level 1. In 1893 when the building was 2 years new, it survived a massive flood which destroyed most adjoining timber buildings.
Frequency of Guided Tours: 12pm 1pm 2pm 3pm
Register at the building on arrival
Is Heritage listed
Recent Architectural or Engineering Awards: N/A
Environment Accreditation: N/A