Join us for a guided experience into the St Johns Cathedral and bell tower and then to the Masonic Memorial Centre for a guided walk and morning tea.
The cathedral is the only stone-vaulted church in the Southern hemisphere and is highly regarded as a sublime example of neo-gothic architecture.
St John’s Cathedral is home to 12 bells, housed in the central tower for traditional English style change ringing. St John’s is only one of two towers in Brisbane to have bells arrayed for change ringing, and only one of three in Queensland.
From St John’s we will then walk to the Masonic Memorial Centre.
With its foundation stone laid on Anzac Day, 25 April, 1928, and built from local materials, the Freemasons Ann Street Memorial Centre is the headquarters of the craft in Queensland and a masonic memorial to those who gave their lives in the World Wars.
Join the Deputy Grand Secretary for a guided tour of the building, from the Urn of Remembrance, to the Grand Hall, where we will conclude the Ann Street guided walking experience with morning tea.
Join us for this incredibly unique and special experience.
TUESDAY 5th DECEMBER
TOUR STARTS @ 9:30AM
- Meeting point St John’s Cathedral, 373 Ann St, Brisbane City
- St John’s guided tour: 9:30am – 11.30am
- Masonic Memorial Centre guided tour & Morning Tea in the Grand Hall: 11:30am – 12.30pm
Max 20 participants. Strictly limited capacity.
Level of fitness:
Moderate level required (if participating in the bell tower)
Access to the bell tower: there are 100 steps into the bell tower, via spiral staircase. As the space is tight, most areas do not have hand rails. Please be aware of this when booking your ticket.
All other aspects of the guided experience require a basic level of fitness.
How to get there?
- Train: Central station is the closest stop
- Bus: Ann Street bus stops 6 or 7 are closest
- Parking in the city is limited
CANCELLATION POLICY – T&CS
- Cancellations made 5 days or more in advance of the event date, will receive a 100% refund or transfer to another event, however will incur a ticket fee.
- Cancellations made between 48 – 120 hours (2 – 5 days) of the event, can be transferred to another event, however will incur the Eventbrite ticket transfer fee and a Brisbane Open House 25% of ticket value fee.
- Cancellations / transfers cannot be made within 48 hours of the event. Though the ticket holder is able to gift the ticket to a friend / family member. Brisbane Open House must be informed by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the attendee/s full name, email and phone number.
If for any reason Brisbane Open House has to cancel the event, the following are the ticketing options:
- Free ticket transfer to another event to the same value. No ticket fees incurred. The ticket can be for a greater value, with the difference paid by the ticket holder, unless otherwise agreed.
- 100% refund of the ticket price. No fees incurred.
The nature of our walking tours means that we are outdoors in the elements. We advise all attendees to be across the current weather conditions and to dress and prepare accordingly. Also to ensure they are responsible for their own comfortable footwear, hat, sunscreen, jacket, raincoat, umbrella and water.
Brisbane Open House will still proceed with walking tours and experiences in all weather conditions, unless it is unsafe to do so. In inclement weather, please ensure you are prepared for this, i.e. wet weather, bring a raincoat / umbrella; in hot weather, wear comfortable shoes and clothes, wear hat and sunscreen, bring water and a fan (if you wish).
Have questions? Contact us please.
Please do not attend if you are feeling unwell.