As part of the Brisbane Open Tours initiative, Brisbane Open House is proud to present exclusive tours of selected island properties.
This tour is presented in conjunction with Brisbane architects Shaun Lockyer, Justin O’Neill and Paul Butterworth, and with the generosity owners of the houses. We walk past and see numerous uniquely different houses on the tour.
Minjerribah (formerly known as North Stradbroke Island) has long been synonymous with family camping holidays, beautiful beaches, pristine nature and the humble beach shack. Over the years housing on the island has ranged from sleep outs, cabins and fibro shacks to architecturally designed beach houses. We will look at the tradition of subtropical housing – both the beach shack and the Queenslander, and the evolution of the shack from the fibro structures of the 1940’s through to the contemporary beach architecture of today.
The discussion of key characteristics included raised structures, natural cross ventilation, verandahs, open plan spaces and the blending of inside and out. Learn more about the design process and taking inspiration from the natural surrounds.
Dress for the weather, bring a water bottle. Please contact us if you have special access requirements.
$100 per person. Children under 2 free.
Welcome to Country by Josh Walker a Nunagal man and a Traditional Custodian from Minjerribah, Quandamooka Country.
- Meet up at the entrance to the beach on Dickson Way opposite East Coast Road at 10.15am for a Welcome to Country to begin this adventure.
- Tour finishes at about 2.00pm
- This tour involves steps and some street walking. This is a self-drive or independent (on foot) tour.
- Transport to the island on Saturday – Stradbroke Ferries for vehicles run at 6.00, 7.00, 8.00 & 9.00am Book early.
- On foot – walk on ferry is another option. The connecting Dunwich to Point Lookout Bus Service takes 25 mins.
- Capacity 25 people, groups entering houses managed carefully for COVID safety.
- Brisbane Open House is compliant with COVID Safe Plan requirements. Hand sanitiser will be available on site.
- Please do not attend if you are feeling unwell. We require 72 hours notice prior to the event to refund tickets, so we can sell them on.
- Children must be accompanied at all times, and we ask parents to discourage them from touching surfaces and furnishings.
- Still photography permitted. Out of respect for all home owners’ privacy, no filming is permitted. If posting on social media, please only share external images of the houses.
- Number strictly limited. For tracing purposes, BOH gathers the details of all participants, and only those registered may attend.
Brisbane Open acknowledges the traditional owners of the land where we work and host events, the Turrible and Jaggara lands of Brisbane, and of the location of this tour on Quandamooka country. BOH is committed to our shared equitable, respectful future with Indigenous Australians.