Brisbane Open House
373 Ann Street, Brisbane City
Saturday // 9am to 2pm
Sunday // 1pm to 4pm
General access (self guided)

The St John’s Cathedral precinct lends an old-world charm to its modern surrounds. It includes the Cathedral, The Deanery (1853), Webber House (1904), Church House (1909) and St Martin’s House (1922). The Cathedral Church of St John the Evangelist was designed in 1888 by noted English architect, John Loughborough Pearson, in neo-Gothic style.

The Deanery – originally a residence for Dr William Hobbs, former clerk of works of the Moreton Bay penal colony, was used as an interim Government House until 1862, and was where Governor Bowen read the proclamation creating the colony of Queensland in 1859.

St. Martin’s War Memorial Hospital was constructed on the site of the old Pyrmont Hospital in 1921. Designed Lange Powell and said to be inspired by William Morris’ Red House. The Hospital was closed in 1971 and the building is now used as Diocesan and Cathedral offices. Refer to seperate building listing for St. Martin’s House.

GUIDED TOUR TIMES

Rolling tours conducted throughout the day

HOW TO BOOK

Register for tours on the day

What's Open

Cathedral, bell tower and organ loft

Additional Activities

Sat - organ recitals // Sun - 2pm Bach and Forth concert

36

St John’s Cathedral

Favourite
1906-1910, 1964-1968, 1989-2009: Built in three stages
Design commissioned 1886: John Loughborough Pearson // Documentation 1898-1904: Frank Pearson (son of John) // Construction of first stage 1906-1911: supervised by Robin Dods // Construction of second stage 1955 & 1964-1968: Conrad Gargett // Construction of the third stages 1988-2000: Conrad and Gargett // 2000-2009: Michael Kennedy