Built in 1888, Cox have been in this building since 1998.
This building known as Old Mineral House has had many lives. The five storey building was originally constructed as three storeys and later extended in the 1890’s. The expansion can be read into the cornice details on the external rendered brickwork and the change of the column types in the upper floors.
The building has housed a variety of uses from it’s original purpose as a warehouse for Smellie & Co’s metal foundry on nearby Alice St. These uses include Government functions such as Naval House, the Industrial High School, and “Mineral House” for the Department of Mines.
Significant elements of its construction have been hidden for some time.
Internally the building’s structure is predominantly intact. It consists of cast iron columns supporting timber beams on the lower levels and concrete columns on the additional upper levels. The staircases and lifts are more recent additions.
We have undertaken a delicate restoration and sensitive interpretation combined with a few bold interventions.