The building was constructed in 1897 for the Windsor Shire Council. The council, which was established in 1887 (with a President and Councilors), was using rented premises up to this time.
The architect, Thomas Coutts, designed the building in a Scottish Baronial style. The builder, stone mason William Parsons, used the “Brisbane Tuff” stone from the adjacent quarry to construct the building.
The Windsor Shire was upgraded in 1904 to become a Town. The Town of Windsor had a Mayor and Aldermen. A five times Mayor of Windsor was William Jolly who then became the first Mayor of Greater Brisbane in 1925, when all the local Towns and Shires were amalgamated.
The building then became a suburban branch of the Brisbane City Council for many years and later was used by local groups for meetings and activities. Since 1990, the Windsor & Districts Historical Society, which was formed in 1988, has been granted a permit by the BCC to occupy the building for its research and collection of the local history of the Shire/Town of Windsor.
The Windsor Mayoral chair is part of the display as well as the Mayoral room with a photo collection of the Town’s Mayors and the Shire’s Presidents.
Across from the chambers is the Windsor memorial park where the WW1 memorial can be seen. It was constructed by the Windsor Town Council and opened Anzac Day 1925.
Is Heritage listed